I was pretty sore after my marathon, but after a couple of days, that muscle soreness started to fade. I actually felt pretty good with one exception. My left foot. My feel almost always bother me after strenuous activity. I tried to write it off that it was bunion pain and that it would subside. The strange thing is that it kept getting worse as the week went on.
Once back in NY, I decided I should go to the doctor. The doctor wanted an x-ray to check for a stress fracture. It came back negative and I was referred to podiatry. I did some research on the internet and came to the conclusion that it was probably related to my sesamoid bones. They're two tiny bones in the ball of the foot that can become inflamed or can fracture given enough stress is placed on them. The podiatrist took a look at my x-ray and my foot and figured that I had sesamoiditis. Wow-I was right! She didn't think there was a fracture, but she said she couldn't be sure because the x-ray was taken too soon after the injury for a fracture to show up. Plus, if it was a tiny fracture, it might not be picked up on film. She told me to take Vitamin I (ibuprofen) and rest as much as possible. That meant NO RUNNING. : (
But now what? I had planned on trying to rest then ramp back up for the US Air Force Marathon in Sept. Boo! Oh the depression! Seriously, telling a runner NOT to run is bad news.
I stewed around for days, really upset. I tried to take it easy. I tried to give it time, but I was back in the gym that week on the bike. I was climbing the walls! I had to do something.
Little by little I've tried to get back into activity but the truth is that I'm probably doing more than I should. Today marks one month from the marathon and my foot is still not well. I haven't run in one month! Yikes--actually writing that down makes it sound worse! Fortunately, I have been able to do other activities for exercise, but I'm concerned about the future of my foot and how it will impact my running. I think it might be time for another podiatry appointment. I'll keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments! : )