Where Are We?


Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Recap and Many Thanks!

It's still hard to believe we have accomplished our goal. I figured I'd write up just a quick recap and something to sort of tie it all together in case you may have missed something.
I moved to NY in 2006 to start an accelerated BS of Nursing program. Before I moved here, I was a hiker and a high pointer (each state has a highest point, the key is to climb them all). I thought I should take advantage of being in the NE and I met a friend in school who was also a hiker. We planned on heading to the Adirondacks to hike Mt. Marcy, the highest point in NY. We did so in September 2006 in the pouring rain and blowing wind. It was undoubtedly a very tough hike! Even in the rain though, the fall colors and the area were beautiful. Little did I know that very soon I'd be spending a LOT of time in these mountains.
The first High Peak Paul and I successfully climbed was Wright. It was March 2007. It was quite an experience. It was my first time on snowshoes and crampons and we had summit winds that we approximate were gusting to 55-60mph. I was scared witless. We had planned on attempting Algonquin, but decided against it in those conditions. A few weeks later we climbed Whiteface with our friend Rick. It was an exhausting hike in fresh, deep, unbroken snow. You would have thought I'd never return to those mountains again! And it was a while before we went back. Neither of us enjoy hiking in the mud or with bugs!
We completed more peaks in the fall of 2007 and we had discussed the possibility of completing the regular 46, but weren't sure if it was a commitment we wanted to make. We enjoy so many activities that it's hard to do them all.
It wasn't until the winter of 2007-2008 when we asked ourselves the possibility of not only completing the 46, but completing the WINTER 46. Really? Ok, we'd better get going then! And we did. Last winter we completed 21 peaks which added to W&W gave us 23 peaks. We were only halfway to the winter 46! We knew it was going to be difficult because we had 23 peaks to go--13 of those being peaks we'd already climbed in the fall which we'd have to re-do.
So, when this winter started, we were gung-ho ready to go. The first few trips of the year aren't on the blog yet, but I will do my best to get write-ups for those and post them soon. Long story short, we did it and are very proud of ourselves for doing so!
Currently, there are fewer than 500 recorded Winter 46ers, less than 90 of those are women. We will be recognized at the ADK Winter Gathering later this month, but we'll be in California and will be unable to attend. Paul and I aren't much for those types of events anyway. : ) We will each receive a climbing number but not until February 2010. The number will most likely be in the 6000 range, followed by a "w" i.e. 6999W. That's because there are over 6,000 registered regular 46ers and they don't have separate numbers for regular and winter climbers. The "w" is the distinguishing factor.
This journey meant a lot to both Paul and I and really, I couldn't have done it without him, nor would I have wanted to. He is one of the strongest, bravest, and most patient persons I know. This experience certainly taught me a lot and I can tell that I've come a long way since Wright in 2007. But again, I (we) didn't do this all on our own. We have an outstanding "Supporting Cast". So now, it's the THANK YOU part of my note....
We really want to thank our families for their support. We're sorry we worry you so much!! Mom and Dad, thanks SO much for SPOT, for the constant weather updates, late phone calls, gear, food, and everything.
Mr. & Mrs. F, thank you for watching Moab so frequently, the dinners, desserts (yum!), a place to stay, breakfasts, and everything else.
And to our friends too, for their support. Here's a shout out to our biggest fan, Walt! High five, buddy!! : ) We've loved hearing how you all have enjoyed reading the blog, looking at the photos & videos, and following us real-time on SPOT. Knowing people were watching us on SPOT reminded us that this adventure wasn't only about us anymore. We were glad to be able to involve so many people and hope it was a great experience for you all as well.
So, in two words, THANK YOU! We appreciate everything! We'll keep you posted as to our next adventure.

COMPLETION LIST, IN ORDER OF HEIGHT
PEAKS ELEVATION DATE CLIMBED
Marcy 5344 21-Feb-09
Algonquin 5114 25 Mar 07, 18 Jan 09, 24 Jan 09
Haystack 4960 3 Nov 07, 7 Feb 09
Skylight 4926 21-Feb-09
Whiteface 4867 18-Mar-07
Dix 4857 15-Mar-08
Gray 4840 21-Feb-09
Iroquois 4840 25 Mar 07, 24 Jan 09
Basin 4827 3 Nov 07, 7 Feb 09
Gothics 4736 20 Oct 07, 29 Dec 08
Colden 4714 24-Jan-09
Giant 4627 26-Jan-08
Nippletop 4620 12-Jan-08
Santanoni 4607 23-Feb-08
Redfield 4606 9-Feb-08
Wright 4580 3-Mar-07
Saddleback 4515 3 Nov 07, 17 Jan 09
Panther 4442 23-Feb-08
Tabletop 4427 8-Mar-08
Rocky Peak 4420 26-Jan-08
Macomb 4405 15-Mar-08
Armstrong 4400 20 Oct 07, 29 Dec 08
Hough 4400 15-Mar-08
Seward 4361 10 Nov 07, 10 Jan 09
Marshall 4360 25-Jan-09
Allen 4340 16-Feb-08
Big Slide 4240 31-Jan-09
Esther 4240 27-Dec-08
Upper Wolf Jaw 4185 20 Oct 07, 29 Dec 08
Lower Wolf Jaw 4175 20 Oct 07, 17 Jan 09
Street 4166 27-Jan-08
Phelps 4161 8-Mar-08
Donaldson 4140 10-Jan-09
Seymour 4120 11-Jan-09
Sawteeth 4100 20 Oct 07, 29 Dec 08
Cascade 4098 13-Jan-08
Carson (S. Dix) 4060 15-Mar-08
Porter 4059 13-Jan-08
Colvin 4057 29 Sep 07, 26 Dec 08
Emmons 4040 10-Jan-09
Dial 4020 12-Jan-08
Grace (E. Dix) 4012 15-Mar-08
Blake 3960 29 Sep 07, 26 Dec 08
Cliff 3960 9-Feb-08
Nye 3895 27-Jan-08
Couchsachraga 3820 23-Feb-08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! : )