Where Are We?


Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Luck of the Irish

Paul is half Irish, thus St. Patrick's Day is his holiday. Oh, I wear green and all, but heck, I'm too Italian to be Irish! ; )
I decided to cook my first ever corned beef for Paul this year. I had no idea how to do it, so I looked online for recipes and found one I liked. I went to Wegman's and got the beef and other stuff and came home and got to work. It was really easy! I cooked it in a mixture of beer and water with the spice packet, some garlic, shallot, and near the end added red potatoes and carrots. Ok ok, I'm not sure if that's "standard" Irish fare, but hey, I was trying!
It cooked longer than I'd planned because we decided to change the oil in my car and rotate the tires before dinner (taking advantage of the daylight). So, instead of taking the meat out, I just left it in and turned it way down. Paul was pretty excited about it when we finally came upstairs for dinner. We took the meat out and let it rest for a good fifteen minutes and Paul carved it up. A nice portion with potatoes and carrots for dinner and it actually made enough for 3+ lunches for him. I was nervous about how it was, but he said it was very good and enjoyed it! Yay!
A vegetarian that cooks meat--what an oxymoron!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! : )