Where Are We?


Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Sort-of Race

Can you see that there's been a "race" theme in our lives recently? : ) The Triple Cities Runner's Club hosts an annual Red Dress Run event each June. It's just as it sounds--put on a red dress and run in it. It's a minimum $5 donation per person and all the money goes to the Crime Victim's Assistance Center. You're not given a race number, you're not officially timed, you don't get a t-shirt, but it's a fun event and the money goes to a good cause. Half of the fun is showing up and seeing what others are wearing. Some people go all out. It's hilarious to see some of the men in dresses!
Last year was the first time I'd run a Red Dress Run. I found my dress at Salvation Army for a steal. I wore it with red & black striped tights, had black gloves and a feather boa, and put on a bunch of make-up. I had a great time--even with my sprained ankle. Our friends Mike and Jeff also ran so it was fun to see friends dressed up too.
I headed back to The Salvation Army a couple weeks ago to see what they had and I found another steal. The dress was too big, but it didn't much matter. Since it was hot out and the color didn't match my tights, so I opted not to wear them. Instead, I decorated with a couple skull tattoos (fake of course). I wore a belt to glam it up a little and just went with basic bright red lipstick. I knew Jeff & Mike weren't going to be running, so I was a little bummed to go by myself. Paul came to support me and watch, but he won't run in the event himself. Boo! He picked me up from work and we headed over and once there ran into our friend Jen Gow who was also running. It was fun to see her. And, our friend (Paul's co-worker) Paul McCabe was there too--all dressed up in red. I took a photo with Jen, but Paul wasn't keen on having his outfit on film. : )
Since this has been my rest week in my run plan, I figured I'd take it easy. Wednesday was actually my day off, but I couldn't pass up the RDR! But, knowing me, it's nearly impossible for me not to try hard...and off I went. The course is VERY hilly--uphill nearly the whole first mile. My time wasn't stellar the first mile, but it was faster than I'd planned. The second mile was even faster--thanks to some downhill sections. I was nearing the finish and was smacked with a very painful side cramp. I tried to push through it for a strong finish, but I couldn't. It was horrible. I dug my hang into my side, but it would not relent. I had to stop. I walked, pushed in on my side, groaned, was upset, and made myself jog very slowly : ( to the finish line. Severely disappointed to say the least. I don't know what causes these cramps. I've read many things about them in hopes that I can pinpoint what triggers them in me. They truly are debilitating. And, my GPS watch told me that the course wasn't a true 5k. It was slightly shorter. Boo! Oh well. My time was still good--too fast for a rest day really. Paul saw the time on my watch and said, "I thought you were going to take it easy!" I smiled and said, "So did I!" : ) I can't help it--I'm a competitor at heart.

The Jen & Jen Show

Here We All Come



There We Go!


Am I Done?

Inspiration

More Inspiration : ) Arrrrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! : )